David was born and raised in Brevard County Florida. With mentors like Helen Cruickshank and Johnnie Johnson and over 35 years in the field, it’s no wonder that he has become one of Florida’s premier birders.
David has been leading birding tours in Florida for over 25 years, starting as a teenager leading field trips for his local Audubon chapter.
He led tours for 12 years as a state park-ranger, and for as many years for the Space Coast Birding & Wildlife Festival. And, he’s done private guiding throughout the state for years.
David is without a doubt the most fanatical lister in Florida. Here are his ABA birding records:
1. Florida life list: fourth place with 444 species
2. Florida Big Year: second place with 365 species
3. Florida Big Day: first place, (with Andy Bankert) with 185 species in 2009, and he has 6 of the top 10 Florida Big Day counts
4. Florida Big Day by month: all 12 months!!
5. At least 138 species recorded in all 67 Florida counties.
These records are a testament to David’s unrelenting tenacity, and illustrate his vast experience throughout the state. They also qualify his wife Dee for sainthood! David loves writing about his birding exploits almost as much as accomplishing them. Check out his blog.